Place:


St Ewe  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Ewe like this:

EWE (St.), a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands near the coast, 3½ miles S by E of Burngullow r. station, and 5 S by W of St. Austell; and has fairs on 10 April and 9 Oct. The parish includes also the hamlets of Heligan-Mill and Pengrugla; and its post town is Mevagissey, under St. ...


Austell. Acres, 5, 935. Real property, £5, 823; of which £75 are in mines. Pop., 1, 334. Houses, 285. The property is subdivided. Heligan is the seat of the Tremaynes; and Treganon was the seat of the Tredinghams. The rocks include slates and copper and tin ores. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £440.* Patrons, SirSawle, Bart., and E. Carlyon, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has monuments of the Mohuns and others. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, and charities £10.

St Ewe through time

St Ewe is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Ewe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Ewe, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14544

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Ewe ".