Place:


Grainthorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grainthorpe like this:

GRAINTHORPE, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands near the coast, 6 miles E of Ludborough r. station, and 8 NE by N of Louth; and has a post office under Grimsby. The parish includes also the hamlets of Ludney and Wragholme. Acres, 4, 955; of which 675 are water. ...


Real property, £9, 234. Pop. in 1851, 655; in 1861, 738. Houses, 161. The property is much subdivided. The increase of pop. arose from the sale of small freehold lots of land, for the erection of houses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Valne, £180.* Patron, Magdalene College, Cambridge. The church is later English and good; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles; and has a western tower, with crocketted pinnacles. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Free Methodists, a library, an endowed school with £20, and other charities with £24.

Grainthorpe through time

Grainthorpe is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grainthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grainthorpe, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14525

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grainthorpe ".