Place:


Wilberfoss  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilberfoss like this:

WILBERFOSS, a township and a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles SSW of Fangfoss r. station, and 8 E of York; gives name to the family of Wilberforce, who were seated here till 1710; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £2,095. ...


Pop., 386. Houses, 89. The parish includes Newton-upon-Derwent township, and comprises 2,870 acres. Pop., 632. Houses, 141. The property is subdivided. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, before 1153, by Alan de Catton; and was given, at the dissolution, to G. Gale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £74.* Patrons, Lord Leconfield and others. The church was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £25.

Wilberfoss through time

Wilberfoss is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilberfoss itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilberfoss, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14471

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilberfoss ".