Place:


Wickersley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickersley like this:

WICKERSLEY, a parish, with a village, in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3¾ miles E by S of Rotherham r. station. It has a post-office under Rotherham. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £2,672; of which £199 are in quarries. Pop., 709. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. ...


W. Hall is the seat of Dr. H. Yates. The quarries here furnish grindstones for the Sheffield cutlers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. J. Cox. The church was rebuilt in 1834. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £7.

Wickersley through time

Wickersley is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wickersley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickersley, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14465

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wickersley ".