Place:


Wheldrake  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheldrake like this:

WHELDRAKE. a township and a parish in York district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Derwent, 7½ miles SE of York r. station; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 4,140. Real property, £5,794. Pop., 631. Houses, 129. The parish includes Langwith township, and comprises 4,921 acres. ...


Pop., 678. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to Lord Wenlock. Roman coins were found in 1810. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £411.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1771. There are a Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £48.

Wheldrake through time

Wheldrake is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wheldrake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheldrake, in York and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14456

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wheldrake ".