Place:


Tockwith  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tockwith like this:

TOCKWITH, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Bilton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2½ miles S of Hammerton r. station, and 5 NE of Wetherby. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 1,610. Real property, £2,883. Pop., 535. Houses, 127. The property is chiefly divided among five. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1867; and is in the decorated English style, and cruciform. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Tockwith through time

Tockwith is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tockwith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tockwith, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14388

Date accessed: 25th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tockwith ".