Place:


Thornthwaite  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornthwaite like this:

THORNTHWAITE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Pateley-Bridge district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2¾ miles W by S of Darley r. station, and 4½ S by E of Pateley-Bridge; and is called T.-with-Padside. Acres, 1,960. Pop., 257. Houses, 56.—The chapelry extends much beyond the township, and is in Hampsthwaite parish. Post town, Ripley, under Leeds. Pop., 930. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £109.* Patron, the Vicar of Hampsthwaite.—The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 12,450. Pop., 1,925. Houses, 438

Thornthwaite through time

Thornthwaite is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornthwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornthwaite, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14347

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornthwaite ".