Place:


Sutton upon Derwent  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton upon Derwent like this:

SUTTON-UPON-DERWENT, a parish, with S. township and Woodhouse hamlet, in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; 5 miles SSW of Fangfoss r. station, and 8 SE by E of York. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 3,360. Real property, £5,446. Pop., 385. Houses, 68. The property is divided among three. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £509.* Patron, Lord St. Vincent. The church is good.

Sutton upon Derwent through time

Sutton upon Derwent is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton upon Derwent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton upon Derwent, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14308

Date accessed: 20th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton upon Derwent ".