Place:


Stanwick St John  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanwick St John like this:

STANWICK-ST. JOHN, a township and a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles S by W of Pierce-Bridge r. station, and 7½ NNE of Richmond. Acres, 1,363. Real property, £1,792. Pop., 53. Houses, 10. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. ...


The parish contains also the townships of Caldwell, East Layton, and Aldbrough; the last of which has a post-office under Darlington. Acres, 6,045. Pop. in 1851,959; in 1861, 768. Houses, 182. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £61 . Patron, J. Wharton, Esq. The church is ancient. Charities, £14.

Stanwick St John through time

Stanwick St John is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanwick St John itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanwick St John, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14277

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanwick St John ".