Place:


Sneaton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sneaton like this:

SNEATON, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Whitby district, N. R. Yorkshire; 1¼ mile SSE of Ruswarp r. station, and 2½ S by W of Whitby. It has a post-office under Whitby. Acres, 4,040. Real property, £2,395; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 268. Houses, 45. The manor, with S. Castle, belongs to Miss Wilson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £170.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. There is an endowed school.

Sneaton through time

Sneaton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sneaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sneaton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14247

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sneaton".