Place:


Settrington  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Settrington like this:

SETTRINGTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands at the foot of the Wolds, near the Malton and Driffield railway, 3½ miles E by S of New Malton; was rebuilt by the late Lady Masterman Sykes; is a polling-place; gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Richmond; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under York. ...


The township comprises 4, 330 acres. Real property, £6,003. Pop., 556. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the township of Scagglethorpe, and comprises 5, 540 acres. Pop., 871. Houses, 154. The manor belongs to Lord Middleton. S. Hall is the chief residence. S. Brow is a spur of the Wolds, and commands a magnificent view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,045.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is ancient but good. There are a national school, and a charity for apprenticing boys.

Settrington through time

Settrington is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Settrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Settrington, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14198

Date accessed: 14th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Settrington ".