Place:


Scrayingham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scrayingham like this:

SCRAYINGHAM, a township in Pocklington district, and a parish partly also in Malton district, but all in E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Derwent, 3½ miles S E by S of Barton-Hill r. station, and 10½ N E of York; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 1, 470. Real property, £1, 952. ...


Pop., 160. Houses, 31. The parish contains also the townships of Howsham and Leppington, and comprises 4, 689 acres. Pop., 480. Houses, 87. Howsham Hall and Aldby Park are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £661.* Patron, the Crown. The church is modern; and a chapel of ease is at Leppington. There is a national school.

Scrayingham through time

Scrayingham is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scrayingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scrayingham, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14186

Date accessed: 14th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scrayingham ".