Place:


Witham on the Hill  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witham on the Hill like this:

WITHAM-ON-THE-HILL, a township and a parish in Bourn district, Lincoln. The township lies 2 miles ESE of Little Bytham r. station, and 4 SW of Bourn; and has a post-office under Bourn. Acres, 2,150. Real property, £3,045. Pop., 236. Houses, 44. The parish includes Manthorpe, Toft, and Lound hamlets, and comprises 4,210 acres. ...


Pop., 548. Houses, 115. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to the Johnsons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £107.* Patrons, the Representatives of the late Gen. Johnson. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £24 a year, and charities £232.

Witham on the Hill through time

Witham on the Hill is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witham on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witham on the Hill, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14091

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witham on the Hill ".