Place:


Welby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welby like this:

WELBY, a parish, with a village, in Grantham district, Lincoln; 4½ miles E by N of Grantham r. station. Post town, Grantham. Acres, 2,740. Real property, £2,947. Pop., 499. Houses, 96. The manor belongs to Sir W. E. Welby Gregory, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £600.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is old but good There are a national school, 4 alms houses, and some other charities.

Welby through time

Welby is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welby, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14053

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welby ".