Place:


Witchampton  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witchampton like this:

WITCHAMPTON, a parish and a sub-district in Wimborne district, Dorset. The parish lies 5 miles NNW of Wimborne r. station, and has a post-office under Wimborne. Acres, 148. Real property, £2,548. Pop, 588. Houses, 124. Several cottages for work-people were recently built on the manorial estate. ...


An old abbey cell was here, and has left some remains. There is a paper-mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £258.* Patron, H.Sturt, Esq. The church is decorated English. There are a Wesleyan chapel and four alms houses.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes and a part. Acres, 13,153. Pop., 4,196. Houses, 934.

Witchampton through time

Witchampton is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witchampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witchampton in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14016

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witchampton ".