Place:


Arlesey  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arlesey like this:

ARLESEY, Arlsey, or Arsley, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. ...


Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church is a plain edifice; was recently fitted with new benches; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and extensive brickworks.

Arlesey through time

Arlesey is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arlesey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arlesey in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1385

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arlesey ".