Place:


South Perrot  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Perrot like this:

PERROTT (South), a parish, with a village, in Beaminster district, Dorset; on the river Parret near itssource, and adjacent to Somerset, 2 miles S E of Crewkerne r. station. Post-town, Crewkerne. Acres, 1, 451. Real property, with Cheddington and Mosterton, £5, 923. Rated property of S. P. ...


alone, £2,067. Pop., 363. Houses, 80. A Roman settlement is supposed to have been on the site of the village; and Roman coins have been found. The living is a consolidated rectory, united with the chapelry of Mosterton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £362.* Patrons, the representatives of the late G. Coombe, Esq. The church is ancient but good.

South Perrot through time

South Perrot is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Perrot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Perrot in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13786

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Perrot ".