South Milford  West Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Milford like this:

MILFORD (SOUTH), a village and a township in Sherburn parish, and a chapelry partly also in MonkFrystone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands within 1½ mile of Milford and Milford-Junction r. stations, and 7½ S of Tadcaster. The township comprises 2,240 acres. Real property, £3,800. ...

Pop., 823. Houses, 183. The manor belongs to Lord Ashtown. Milford House is the seat of B. Crossland, Esq.—The chapelry was constituted in 1859. Post town, South Milford. Pop., 1,037. Houses, 234. Pop. of the Monk-Frystone portion, 33. Houses, 9. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £170. * Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1846, and is in the early English style. There are a mission chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.

South Milford through time

South Milford is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Milford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Milford, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 02nd December 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Milford ".