Place:


Holt  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holt like this:

HOLT, a chapelry in Wimborne-Minster parish, Dorset; 3 miles NE of Wimborne-Minster r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Holt-Chapel, under Wimborne; and it includes the hamlet of Petersham. Acres, 3, 910. Pop., 1, 394. Houses, 314. The surface was formerly forest. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the Collegiate Church of Wimborne-Minster, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church has been rebuilt.

Holt through time

Holt is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holt in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13668

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holt ".