Place:


Charminster  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charminster like this:

CHARMINSTER, a village and a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset. The village stands on a branch of the river From, adjacent to the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, 2 miles NNW of Dorchester; and has a post office under Dorchester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Burton and Forston, and the county lunatic asylum. Acres, 4,095. Real property, £2,608. Pop., 1,020. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Stratton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £137. Patron, Henry Pickard, Esq. The church is very good.

Charminster through time

Charminster is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charminster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charminster in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13598

Date accessed: 18th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charminster ".