Place:


South Somercotes  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Somercotes like this:

SOMERCOTES (South), a parish, with a village, in Louth district, Lincoln; 8 miles NE of Louth r. station. Post town, Louth. Acres, 2,597. Real property, £5,966. Pop., 419. Houses, 85. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, 620.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church has a lofty spire, which serves as a sea-mark. There are two Methodist chapels, and an endowed Church school. Cardinal de Somercote was a native.

South Somercotes through time

South Somercotes is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Somercotes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Somercotes, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13588

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Somercotes ".