Place:


North Somercotes  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Somercotes like this:

SOMERCOTES (North), a parish, with a large scattered village, in Louth district, Lincoln; on the coast, 10 miles NE of Louth r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Louth. Acres, 8,622. Real property, £11,122. Pop. in 1851, 1,039; in 1861, 1,178. Houses, 264. The property is much subdivided. A coastguard station is at Donna Nook. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln-Value, £500.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is large and in bad repair. There are three Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and some charities.

North Somercotes through time

North Somercotes is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Somercotes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Somercotes, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13587

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Somercotes ".