Place:


Menwith Hill  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Menwith Hill like this:

MENWITH-WITH-DARLEY, a township in Hampsthwaite parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, 4½ miles SSE of Pateley-Bridge. Acres, 2,480. Real property, £3,178. Pop., 650. Houses, 158. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The church of Thornthwaite chapelry is here; and there are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £40 a year, and charities £15.

Menwith Hill through time

Menwith Hill is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Menwith Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Menwith Hill, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13487

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Menwith Hill ".