Place:


Yeovilton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yeovilton like this:

YEOVILTON, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Yeovil district, Somerset; 1½ mile E of Ilchester, and 3¾ W of Marston r. station. Post town, Ilchester, under Taunton. Acres, 1,753. Real property, £3,260. Pop., 342. Houses, 60. The manor was known to the Saxons as Geviltone; belonged, at the Norman conquest, to W. du Ewe; passed to W. de Botreaux and others; and belongs now to G. D. W. Digby, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £445.* Patron, the Bishop of B. and W. The church is later English. Charities, £7.

Yeovilton through time

Yeovilton is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yeovilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yeovilton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13442

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yeovilton ".