Place:


Pinchbeck  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pinchbeck like this:

PINCHBECK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near the river Glen and the Peterborough and Boston railway, 2 miles N by E of Spalding r. station; and has a post-office under Spalding. The parish contains also the hamlets of Pinchbeck-Bars, Mill-Green, Guthram-Cote, Crossgate, Matthews, and others; and includes part of Cowbit-Wash. ...


Acres, 11, 640. Real property, £29, 653. Pop., 2, 933. Houses, 608. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to M. Johnson andF. Bonness, Esqs. Grove House and Bridge House are chief residences. There is a large scutching mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £700.* Patron, the Rev. W. Wayet. The church is early and later English; was restored in 1864; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. The p. curacy of West Pinchbeck is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and charities £96. The sub-district excludes the part of Cowbit-Wash, but includes smallparts of two other parishes. Pop., 3,052. Houses, 632.

Pinchbeck through time

Pinchbeck is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pinchbeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pinchbeck, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13430

Date accessed: 18th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pinchbeck ".