Place:


Ubley  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ubley like this:

UBLEY, or Obleigh, a parish, with a village, in Clutton district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 8 miles SSE of Nailsea r. station, and 8 N by W of Wells. Post town, Temple-Cloud, under Bristol. Acres, 1,811. Real property, £2,703. Pop., 307. Houses, 66. The property is much subdivided. Lead ore is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5. A cattle fair is held on 4 Sept.

Ubley through time

Ubley is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ubley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ubley, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13361

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ubley ".