Place:


Leconfield  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leconfield like this:

LECKONFIELD, a village and a parish in Beverley district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Arram r. station, and 3¼ NNW of Beverley; and gives the title of Baron to the Wyndhams.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Arram. Post town, Beverley. Acres, 4, 030. Real property, £4, 631. ...


Pop., 348. Houses, 56. The Property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. A seat of the Druids was here; gave rise to the name Leckonfield, which etymologically signifies "the cromlech in the gloom;" and was succeeded, first by a chapel for the early Christians, afterwards by a palace for the occasional use of the Archbishops of York. A stately castle of the Percys, Earls of Northumberland, also stood here; was taken down in 1600; and has left traces of its moat on the W of the village. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Scarborough, in the diocese of York. The church is a brick structure, and was recently in disrepair.

Leconfield through time

Leconfield is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leconfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leconfield, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13298

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leconfield ".