Place:


Langton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langton like this:

LANGTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Malton district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands in a valley of the Wolds, 3 miles SSE of Malton r. station; is a pretty place; and has a fair on Whit-Monday. —The township comprises 2,290 acres. Real property, £2,547. Pop., 207. Houses, 46.—The parish contains also the township of Kennythorpe; and its post-town is New Malton. ...


Acres, 2,822. Real property, £3,943. Pop., 264. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Langton Hall, belonged to Major-General Norcliffe. Langton Wold is a famous training ground, with racing stables, and a race-course; commands, round the race-course, an extensive panoramic view; and has traces of an ancient British camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £560. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was almost wholly rebuilt in 1822; has a fine E window, and a tower; and contains an ancient font, and monuments of the Norcliffes. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Langton through time

Langton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langton, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13257

Date accessed: 17th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langton ".