Place:


Langsett  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langsett like this:

LANGSETT, a township in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Little Don, adjacent to Cheshire, 3½ miles SW of Penistone. Acres, 4,370. Real property, £2,524; of which £85 are in mines, and £33 in quarries. Pop., 280. Houses, 51. The manor belongs to Sir L. M. N. S. Pilkington, Bart. Much of the land is waste moor and mountain. Coal is mined; fire-clay is found; and fire-bricks are made.

Langsett through time

Langsett is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langsett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langsett, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13251

Date accessed: 07th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langsett ".