Place:


Kirby Grindalythe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Grindalythe like this:

KIRBY-GRINDALYTH, a township and a parish in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 3 ½ miles ENE of Wharram r. station, and 8 ESE of New Malton. Acres, 4, 930. Real property, £5, 199. Pop., 249. Houses, 36.—The parish contains also the townships of Thirkleby and Duggleby; and its post town is Sledmere, under York. ...


Acres, o, 979. Real property, £8, 852. Pop., 571. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir T. Sykes, Bart. The church is ancient but good; has a tower and spire; and contains sedilia, a piscina, and an ancient font. There is a natonal school.

Kirby Grindalythe through time

Kirby Grindalythe is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Grindalythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Grindalythe, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13197

Date accessed: 16th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Grindalythe ".