Kilnsea  East Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilnsea like this:

KILNSEA, a parish in Patrington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, at the mouth of the Humber, 8½ miles SE of Patrington r. station. Post town, Easington, under Hull. Acres, 11, 036; of which 10, 026 are water. Real property, £1, 474. Pop., 179. Houses, 37. The property is subdivided. ...

The manor belongs to SirA. Constable. Spurn Head, with its lighthouses, forms the SE extremity. Large portions of the land have been swept away by the sea; and even portions which remain are overflowed by high tides, and threatened with destruction. Some Roman relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120. Patron, L. Thompson, Esq. The old church was destroyed by the advancing waves in 1826. The new church was built in 1 865; and is in the early English style, of dark red brick, with white bands and stone coignes saved from the church. See SPURN HEAD.

Kilnsea through time

Kilnsea is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilnsea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilnsea, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kilnsea".