Place:


Kettlewell  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kettlewell like this:

KETTLEWELL, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands between the mountains Whernside and Hardflask, near the river Wharfe, 13 miles NE of Settle r. station and 14 N of Skipton; was nearly inundated by rain floods in 1686; and has a post office under Skipton, two inns, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, a mechanics' institute, an endowed school, a weekly corn market on Thursday, and cattle fairs on 6 July, 2 Sept., and 23 Oct. ...


The church was rebuilt in 1820; comprises nave, aisle, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains several mural monuments, and a font of 1100. -The township comprises 5, 507 acres. Pop., 485. Houses, 116.—The parish includes also the township of Starbottom, and comprises 8, 455 acres. Real property, £4, 349. Pop., 646. Houses, 154. The property is much subdivided. The land is chiefly moor and upland pasture; and it exhibits much interesting mountain landscape. There are lead mines; and more of them were worked formerly than now. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £120. Patron, R. Foster, Esq.—The sub-district contains also parts of two other parishes. Acres, 30, 262. Pop., 1, 141. Houses, 256.

Kettlewell through time

Kettlewell is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kettlewell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kettlewell, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13177

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kettlewell ".