Place:


Nempnett Thrubwell  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nempnett Thrubwell like this:

NEMPNETT, or Nempnett-Thrubwell, a parish, with a village, in Clutton district, Somerset; near the source of the river Yeo, under the Mendip hills, 6½ miles S E of Nailsea r. station, and 8 N E of Axbridge. Post-town, Blagdon, Somerset. Acres, 1, 772. Real property, £2, 200. Pop., 259. ...


Houses, 48. The manor belongs to Sir Charles K. Tynte, Bart. A barrow, 180 feet long, 60 feet wide, and 45 feet high, covered with brushwood, is at Fairy-field; consists of stones, supported at the sides by a wall of thin flakes; and includes two rows of cavities, in some of which human skulls and small bones were found in 1789. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £265.* Patron, the Rev. S. Trueman. The church is of the15th century; and consists of nave and chancel, with Sporch and massive tower. The parsonage was built in 1859; is a handsome structure, in the pointed style; and stands on elevated ground, commanding rich views from the Mendips to Bath. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £35.

Nempnett Thrubwell through time

Nempnett Thrubwell is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nempnett Thrubwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nempnett Thrubwell in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13113

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nempnett Thrubwell ".