Limington  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Limington like this:

LIMINGTON, a village and a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset. The village stands 1¼ mile SE of Ilchester, and 6 SW by W of Sparkford r. station.—The parish includes the tything of Draycott; and its Post town is Ilchester, under Taunton. Acres, 1,602. Real property, £2,703. Pop., 341. ...

Houses, 73. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to G. D. Digby, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £412. * Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is early decorated and later English; consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with porch and lofty tower; and contains a recumbent effigies of Sir Gilbert Gyverny, of the 14th century, several mural monuments of the Beatons, and the arms of Lord Harrington, of the 15th century. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school. Cardinal Wolsey was rector.

Limington through time

Limington is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Limington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Limington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 16th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Limington ".