Place:


Huggate  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huggate like this:

HUGGATE, a village and a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 4¼ miles SSW of Sledmere and Fimber r. station, and 7 NE of Pocklington; and has a post office under York, and a well 348 feet deep. The parish comprises 6, 500 acres. Real property, £6, 185. ...


Pop., 589. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to James Christie, Esq. Danish earthworks and numerous barrows are on the hills. Races used to be run in J-n y. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £449.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor, The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Huggate through time

Huggate is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huggate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huggate, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13029

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huggate ".