Place:


Howsham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Howsham like this:

HOWSHAM, a township in Scrayingham parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the York and Malton railway, 6½ miles SSW of New Malton. Acres, 2, 056. Real property, £2, 900. Pop., 188. Houses, 33. The property belonged to Kirkham priory; was given, at the dissolution, to the Eires; and passed to the Bamburghs and the Cholmleys. ...


Howsham Hall was built, by Thomas Bambnrgh, out of the materials of the old priory; is now the seat of the Cholmleys; and is a quadrangular edifice in the Tudor style. A stone bridge is here over the Derwent. A.church was built at Howsham in 1860, at a cost of nearly £3, 000, by Mrs. Cholmley, as a memorial of her husband, the late Col. Cholmley; is in the geometrical, middle pointed style; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.

Howsham through time

Howsham is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Howsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Howsham, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13023

Date accessed: 14th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Howsham ".