Place:


Manthorpe  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manthorpe like this:

MANTHORPE, a township and a chapelry in Grantham parish, Lincoln. The township bears the name of Manthorpe-cum-Little Gonerby; lies 1¼ mile NE of Grantham r. station; is included in Grantham parliamentary borough; and has a post office under Grantham. Real property, £8,102. Pop. in 1851,2,344; in 1861, 2,241. ...


Houses, 496.—The chapelry comprises but a small part of the township, and was constituted in 1849. Rated property, £1,598. Pop., 206. Houses, 53. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Londonthorpe, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £200.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church was built in 1848; is in the early decorated English style; and comprises nave, S porch, chancel, and vestry, with tower and spire.

Manthorpe through time

Manthorpe is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Manthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manthorpe, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12983

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Manthorpe ".