Place:


Evercreech  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Evercreech like this:

EVERCREECH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Somerset and Dorset railway, near the Fosse way, 3¾ miles SE by S of Shepton-Mallet; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Bath. The parish includes also the chapelry of Chester-blade, and the hamlets of Bagbury, Southwood, and Stoney-Stratton. ...


Acres, 4, 078. Real property, £9, 760. Pop., 1, 321. Houses, 304. The property is much sub-divided. Silk-weaving is carried on, but has undergone such decline as to cause considerable decrease of the population. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Chesterblade, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £226.* Patron, the Dowager Lady Talbot de Malahide. The church is good, and has a tower which figures finely in the landscape. There are a Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £60. -The sub-district contains also nine other parishes. Acres, 21, 233. Pop., 5, 141. Houses, 1, 166.

Evercreech through time

Evercreech is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Evercreech itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Evercreech, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12831

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Evercreech ".