Place:


Emborough  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Emborough like this:

EMBORROW, or Emborough, a parish in Shepton Mallet district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 5 miles NE of Wells r. station. It includes the tything of Whitnell. Post town, Chewton-Mendip, under Bath. Acres, 2, 039. Real property, £1, 737. Pop., 178. Houses, 41. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chewton-Mendip, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is small.

Emborough through time

Emborough is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Emborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Emborough, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12825

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Emborough ".