Place:


Hampsthwaite  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampsthwaite like this:

HAMPSTHWAITE, a village and a township in Knaresborough district, and a parish partly also in Pateley Bridge district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Nidd, adjacent to the Nidd Valley railway, 2 miles SW of Ripley, and 4 NW of Harrogate; and has a station on the railway, a bridge over the Nidd, and a post office under Leeds. ...


The township comprises 1, 170 acres. Real property, £1, 650. Pop., 513. Houses, 118. The parish contains also the townships of Felliscliffe, Birstwith, Menwith-with-Darley, and Thornthwaite-with-Padside. Acres, 9, 600. Real property, £10, 062. Pop., 2, 422. Houses, 561. The property is not much divided. The manors of Hampsthwaite and Menwith-with-Darley belong to the Duke of Devonshire; and that of Birstwith belongs to F. Greenwood, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Heirs of the late S. H. Shann, Esq. The church is an oblong edifice, in the pointed style; has an embattled tower; was rebuilt in 1821; and contains a few mural monuments. The vicarages of Birstwith and Thornthwaite are separate benefices. There are three chapels for Wesleyans, two for Primitive Methodists, and one for Quakers, an endowed school with £14 a year, and a national school.

Hampsthwaite through time

Hampsthwaite is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampsthwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampsthwaite, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12824

Date accessed: 15th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampsthwaite ".