Place:


East Kirkby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Kirkby like this:

KIRKBY (EAST), a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands near a drain navigable to Boston, 5½ miles SW by W of Spilsby, and 6½ N W of Eastville r. station; and is a pleasant place. The parish comprises 1, 670 acres. Post town, Spilsby. Real property, £3, 206. ...


Pop., 432. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late R. Maidens, Esq. The acreage includes an allotment in the West FenThe living is a vic arage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180.* Patron, J. B. Stanhope, Esq. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an oak rood screen, a piscina, and a finely carved ancient font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a free school with £70 a year. Bishop Goodrich, the chancellor of Edward VI., was a native.

East Kirkby through time

East Kirkby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Kirkby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Kirkby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12750

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Kirkby ".