Place:


Great Givendale  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Givendale like this:

GIVENDALE (Great), a township and a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 4 miles N by E of Pocklington town and r. station. Acres, 741. Pop., 60. Houses, 11. The parish contains also the township of Grimthorpe; and its post town is Bishop-Wilton, under York. Acres, 8, 221. Real property, £1, 468. Pop., 86. Houses, 15. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Millington, in the diocese of York. The church is modern.

Great Givendale through time

Great Givendale is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Givendale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Givendale, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12727

Date accessed: 28th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Givendale ".