Place:


Ripponden  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ripponden like this:

RIPPONDEN, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Halifax parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Ryburne rivulet, 3 miles S S W of Sowerby-Bridge r. station, and 5½ S W of Halifax; is partly in the township of Barkisland, but chiefly in that of Soyland; and has a post-office under Halifax. ...


The chapelry comprises Soyland and Rishworth townships, and part of Barkisland. Pop., about 5,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church was built in 1731, is in the Doric style, and has a tower. There are chapels forwesleyans and New Connexion Methodists, and a national school. The sub-district includes also the rest of Barkisland township, and comprises 13, 570 acres. Pop., 6, 620. Houses, 1, 345.

Ripponden through time

Ripponden is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ripponden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ripponden, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1266

Date accessed: 28th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ripponden ".