Place:


Cockington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cockington like this:

COCKINGTON, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; adjacent to the Torquay railway, near Tor bay, 2 miles W of Torquay. Post town, Torquay. Acres, 1, 016. Real property, £2, 326. Pop., 210. Houses, 38. The manor belonged formerly to the Carys; and belongs now to the Mallocks. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Tor-Mohun, in the diocese of Exeter. ...


The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower; and has an ancient carved screen, and a very ancient octagonal font. Seven alms-houses have £37 a year; and other charities £4.

Cockington through time

Cockington is now part of Torbay district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torbay has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cockington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cockington, in Torbay and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1265

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cockington ".