Place:


Horbling  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horbling like this:

HORBLING, a village and a parish in Bourn district, Lincoln. The village stands near Carr Dyke, 3½ miles ENE of Folkingham, and 6½ S of Heckington r. station; and has a post office under Folkingham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Bridge-End, and comprises 2, 620 acres. Real property, £11, 332. ...


Pop., 546. Houses, 108. The property is mainly divided among three. The manor belongs to Mrs. Shaw. Remains of a priory are at Bridge-End. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £271. * Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is partly Norman, partly of later dates; is cruciform, with central tower, and in good condition; and has a memorial window and an ancient font, -the former put up in 1854 to Benjamin Smith, Esq. An endowed school has £31; and other charities have £5.

Horbling through time

Horbling is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horbling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horbling, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12631

Date accessed: 18th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horbling ".