Place:


Foston  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foston like this:

FOSTON, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the Barton-Hill station of the York and Scarborough railway, W of the river Derwent, 11½ miles NE by N of York; and has a post office under York. Acres, 820. Real property, £1, 849. Pop., 85. ...


Houses, 17. The parish includes also the township of Thornton-le-Clay, and part of the township of Flaxton-on-the-Moor; but is returned, in the statistics, as exclusive of the latter. Acres, 2, 090. Real property, £3, 477. Pop., 355. Houses, 77. The property is divided among six. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £595.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old and shabby, but good. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £12.

Foston through time

Foston is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Foston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foston, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12617

Date accessed: 07th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Foston ".