Place:


West Camel  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Camel like this:

CAMEL (West), a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset; on the river Yeo, 2 miles NW of Marston r. station, and 4 ENE of Ilchester. It includes the hamlets of Downhead, Sterthill, and Urgashay; and its Post Town is Queen-Camel under Taunton. Acres, 1,953. Real property, £3,443. Pop., 338. Houses, 72. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £275.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is good.

West Camel through time

West Camel is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Camel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Camel in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12513

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Camel ".