Place:


Embsay  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Embsay like this:

EMBSAY-WITH-EASTBY, a township and a chapelry in Skipton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Wharfe, 2 miles NW of Skipton town and r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Embsay, under Skipton. Acres 2, 522. Real property, £4, 957. Pop., 1, 028. ...


Houses, 211. Part of the surface is upland, and includes Embsay moor An Augustinian priory was founded at Embsay, in 1121, by William Meschines, and eventually removed to Bolton. The chapelry was constituted in 1855. Pop., 1, 083. Houses, 221. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £176.* Patron, the Rector of Skipton. The church was built in 1853. There are three dissenting chapels and a national school.

Embsay through time

Embsay is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Embsay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Embsay, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12429

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Embsay ".