Place:


Elvington  Yorkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elvington like this:

ELVINGTON, a parish in York district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Derwent, 4½ miles SSW of Fangfoss r. station, and 6½ ESE of York. Post town, Sutton-on-Derwent, under York. Acres, 2, 256. Real property, £2, 790; of which £26 are in quarries. Pop., 472. Houses, 89. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £280.* Patron, the Rev. J. E. Clarke. The church is good; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Elvington through time

Elvington is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elvington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elvington, in York and Yorkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12428

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elvington ".