Place:


South Elmsall  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Elmsall like this:

ELMSALL (North and South), two townships in South Kirby parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 6½ miles S by E, and 7 SE of Pontefract. Acres, 2, 071 and 1, 740. Real property, £3, 012 and £2, 403. Pop., 236 and 468. Houses, 47 and 115. North Elmsall includes the hamlets of Mensthorpe and Wrangbrook; and South Elmsall has a railway station and a Wesleyan chapel.

South Elmsall through time

South Elmsall is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Elmsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Elmsall, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12424

Date accessed: 04th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Elmsall ".